SOCIAL MEDIA

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Wedding Wednesday: How I Chose My Bridal Party

"Will you marry me?" was the easiest question I've ever answered but the question that quickly followed was one of the hardest...

"Who are you asking to be your BRIDESMAIDS?"
^ Made by my baby sister ^

I am very fortunate to have a great number of ladies who I consider my closest friends, so when I started thinking about who would be standing (for a very long time during my Catholic wedding mass) by my side on my wedding day I became very torn. I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings but I knew that was pretty much inevitable with a circle of friends as big as mine. After many ugly cries and sleepless nights, my sweet fiance Brian suggested I make a list of qualities I wanted in a bridesmaid. Even though it seemed silly at first I followed the "coach's" advice and I want to share it with any brides to be that might be going through what I did. These are qualities important to me so make sure you think of what it most important to you when you start "recruiting" your bridal party...

1. Is she encouraging and understanding? Sometimes you need a cheerleader rooting for you when a family member or vendor upsets you, luckily my MOH is a cheerleader at Mizzou lol! A simple "how is planning going?" call or text out of the blue goes a long way for me. Also, is she willing and able to spend the money that is necessary to be a bridesmaid? Three of my bridal house party girls are in other weddings this year and I didn't want to create a financial hardship on them.   

My Maid of Honor and baby sister, Larissa

2. Is she not only my friend but my fiance's friend too? Just like the ever wise Spice Girls say "ya gotta get with my friends..." I often thought, "Could Brian call her for backup during a meltdown or bridezilla moment?" "Will he be able to ask her for help with his wedding tasks if he needs it?" 

My first Disney friend and bridesmaid, Katie

3. Is she ready and willing to play host? Wedding festivities, while joyous, can be hectic and overwhelming. Would she help keep the stress low and spirits high as well as take the reigns when needed without being prompted? Is she going to be able to help with venue set-up if need be?

My sorority sister and bridesmaid, Erika, (she set Brian & I up)

4. Is she going to give you an honest opinion when asked? This one is tricky because some brides want everyone to agree with what they say but that is not me! I needed my girls to keep it real, especially when I started going overboard with wedding favors and decor. Can she reign me back in when I'm overthinking every little detail?

My Epcot Guest Relations BFF and bridesmaid, Kathleen.

Each of my bridesmaids possess these qualities and each played a large role in Brian and I's relationship. He and I agreed to have 4 bridesmaids and 4 groomsmen, which is a great number, but I wanted to find a way to include 4 other ladies who are very important to me so enter the bridal house party!

My house party girls are crucial to my wedding and they each have a role in the ceremony. Pretty much the only difference between the bridesmaids and house party is that the bridesmaids stand with me while the house party girls have a task to perform during the ceremony. Erin, my childhood bestie (top right), is reading the first reading during our wedding mass. Stacy, my sorority sister (top left), is reading the same passage that I read at her wedding which happens to be very near and dear to our sorority. Kacie (bottom left) and Alexis (bottom right), my sorority sisters, will be serving as the "gift bearers" better known as communion presenters.

Each and every one of the ladies are beyond important to me and I love them dearly. They have all helped me through the highs and lows of love and deserve to be a part of the most important day of my life. All eight of these ladies will help me get ready the morning of my wedding, take an obnoxious amount of pictures, strut down the aisle before me, watch me marry the love of my life, and celebrate the night away with plenty of bud light, champagne, and the greatest hits of 2009. October 17th will be here before we know...time to bring our stanky legs out of retirement y'all!

                                                                                                                XOXO,
                                                                                                                     
                                                                                                                      Jordan   

2 comments :

  1. This is so sweet! It's always nice to support those that support us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shay! I adore these ladies and am so lucky to have them in my life. Thanks for reading and commenting :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by Former Kennedy. I love hearing from YOU and would love to check out your blogs too! Comment and leave your link :)