SOCIAL MEDIA

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Tasty Tuesday {Easy Crockpot Turkey Chili}

I have to admit I cooked so much more when I didn't live with Brian. I blame it on the fact that we love date nights and the fact that he's a really good cook has made me lazy in the kitchen. I'm breaking that habit and getting back to cooking more. Like most busy people, the easier the meal the more likely I am to make it. Here's one of our favorite colder weather meal...

Crockpot Turkey Chili


Ingredients:

- 1 lb. of lean ground turkey
- 1 family size tomato soup
- 1 can of tomatoes with chilies (Ro-Tel) 
- 1 can of dark kidney beans
- 1 can of light kidney beans
- 1 pack of chili seasoning (I like to use a medium low sodium one)
- half of an onion
- a green/red bell pepper (or both if you want to get crazy lol)

Optional items: (3) fresh jalapenos and 1/2 cup medium/hot salsa if you like a kick

Instructions:

1.) Turn your crockpot to the "low" setting and add tomato soup then mix in the chili seasoning. Fill the soup can halfway full with water and pour that into the crockpot as well.


2.) Once the seasoning is completely mixed in drain the canned tomatoes and both cans of beans and add them to the crockpot. If you leave too much of the liquid from those canned ingredients your chili will be runny.

3.) Cook your ground turkey on the stove and while it's cooking chop your onion and bell pepper (and       jalapenos if you decided to include them) then place them in the crockpot.


4.) Once your turkey is thoroughly cooked drain the meat to get rid of any excessive fat and then 
      place it in the crockpot. (you can add the salsa here is you choose to) 


5.) Allow the chili to simmer in the crockpot for around two hours or more (I've left it all day before) 
     while occasionally stirring it and then ENJOY!


I pair my chili with a {PB2} peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat bread but corn muffins and grilled cheese taste great too! This was a sweater weather staple growing up with my grandma and, to me, one of the only things I make that tastes just like hers. If you try this recipe out email me and let me know how it goes!




2 comments :

  1. Oh man I so need to get a crockpot, so many great things you can make with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, I'm so happy crockpot season is back! I just made applesauce in mine today :) Can't wait to make chili soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by Former Kennedy. I love hearing from YOU and would love to check out your blogs too! Comment and leave your link :)